Sunday 24 September 2006

Alesha - Knockdown

Snipshot_f89hvd3rq
The very lovely Spoony finished a 6 year stint at Radio 1 last week and I've very much enjoyed spending the last two years working with him. I only got round to listening to his last show yesterday (I was out of the country when it was live) before it fell off Radio Player, but with a very funny Mills and Spoon and a couple of guests, I'm glad I did. Hilariously from Oct 3, you can catch him on Strictly Come Dancing, where I expect everyone I know to vote Spoony!







Anyway, that aside, one of his farewell guests was the awesome Alesha. Her brilliant debut single Lipstick charted much lower than it deserved at no.14 and October 16 brings single no.2 Knockdown. Totally different to the in-your-face style of Lipstick, it's reminiscent of Kelis' Trick Me and I guess if I have to say it, of Lily Allen too. The bassline is funky funk and it's pretty immediate. Based on the tracks I've heard, Fired Up, her debut album, is shaping up to be a stonker, and just the two singles alone beat anything on the new Jamelia album. Plus the video version breaks down into an unexpected crazy-voiced Alesha rap to remind us of the good ol' Mis-teeq days. Hooray.

3 comments:

  1. Dynamiteehee... Hmmm. Can't say that's any better than Lipstick which I didn't rate either, I'm afraid. I rather fear that might be her last single unless there's something quite extraordinary on the album. Sorry!

    I'll miss Spoony though. He was a nice bloke. And might well make Strictly Come Dancing vaguely watchable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alesha,

    I love your song It's great! I only new This song two days now and I already know most of the words!

    I hope you carry on creating songs like this they are amazing!

    Luv Olivia

    ps. I am only 12!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alesha i'm back i'm 12 in 2 months and i can't believe you won the stricly come dancing i'm happy 4 u i'm not lying but no oofence but i'm a star now if you try to check i think www.writingsongs.com and find alisa kemal 'what's it like in school?' you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete