Friday 2 January 2009

The Sound of 2008

sound of 2008

2008 was a great year for pop music, singles and the chart. I feel like I've missed out on a lot of albums but the above are my favourites. I never really knew Elbow before but this album was just brilliant - musically and lyrically, Vampire Weekend continues to be exciting, bouncy and gleeful, and Neon Neon was a very strange idea turned into a great reality.  As ever I could endlessly ponder my songs of the year, and I'm really weird in how I define things. So while I might love 'One Day Like This' and 'I Lust U', I'll include those via their respective albums in my albums list above because I don't really think of them as singles just part of an album.

Song of the Year: Little Boots - Stuck on Repeat. It's been out a bit but not properly properly so I was cautious about putting this in the 2008 chart, but it's the only song that makes my jaw drop, still nearly a year after Victoria first sent it round. Totally brilliant and a huge year awaits.

Rest of Best: 2. Sam Sparro - Black & Gold, 3. Estelle - American Boy, 4. MGMT - Kids, 5. Miley Cyrus - See You Again, 6. The Saturdays - Up, 7. Solange - I Decided, 8. The Ting Tings - Great DJ, 9. Ne-Yo - Closer, 10. Chris Brown & Jordin Sparks - No Air

Most Listened to (according to Last FM): 1. Ben Folds - You Don't Know Me, 2. Sarah Brightman - I Don't Know How To Love Him, 3. Miley Cyrus - See You Again, 4. Sophie Ellis Bextor - Heartbreak Make Me A Dancer, 5. Ladyhawke - Paris Is Burning, 6, The Ting Tings - Great DJ, 7 Girls Aloud - Miss You Bow Wow, 8, Sara Barielles -  Love Song, 9. Little Boots - Stuck On Repeat, 10, Sam Sparro - Black & Gold

1 comment:

  1. What incredible taste you have... So good to see so much love for Sunlounge and Ladytron on a few end-of-year lists too; both incredible records.

    ReplyDelete