Tuesday 11 August 2009

An Education

I'm a bit rubbish at seeing films. I always think 'oooh, I'll see that' but more often than not come up with something more fun (i.e. sitting at home on the internet) to do than go to the cinema. Anyway the last film I got giddy about seeing was Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day with the gorgeous Amy Adams and knee trembling Lee Pace. Swoon your way through tearjerker 'If I Didn't Care. Ned! Pies!

Now only a year later, there's another film I'm quite into seeing. Well done me. I obviously have something for posh accents and London in bygone ages, as this time it's 'An Education'.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYkLgaQ27L8[/youtube]



The story is based around a relationship British journalist Lynn Barber had as a teenager with an older man. It's detailed in her new memoirs of the same name, but only takes up one chapter of the fascinating book. I had to read it very quickly last week at work to prepare an interview for her (an interview for the queen of interviewing!) and can hugely recommend as both an insight into the world of journalism and the very real tale of a girl growing up. The trailer seems to romanticise the relationship much more than the book does, but perhaps that's a trailer impression.

There are also two proper SCREAM (if you're a geek) castings in that trailer. I stared at Jenny (Lynn) for a while before realising she was modern day Doctor Who idol Sally Sparrow from 'Blink'. And who is that familiar voice saying 'Go to Oxford, no matter what - you'll break my heart'? It's a far from glamorous looking Adelle from Dollhouse. Plus how gorgeous does Beth Rowley look?

'An Education' is out in October. Make way for me, Mr Cinema

No comments:

Post a Comment