Sunday 7 February 2010

Worried About The Boy

Ever since meeting Simon Hobart, getting involved with Ghetto and hearing his stories of the club scene of the 80s, I've had fascination with the decade. Ashes to Ashes helped bring that along even further and I've loved delving back in time and so far merely scraping the surface of all the brilliant electro pop that came out of that era. I always say that if I had a time machine I'd love to go back to 1980s London and see what it was like. I was here a hell of a lot, but as a child who didn't really see much.

It's very exciting to read then about the BBC's 80s season which is the already made part of the now dropped Decades TV season the corp were planning. The first programme to be announced is 90 minute drama Worried About The Boy which revolves around the life of Boy George. He'll be played by Douglas Booth who's only really known at the moment for being the male face of Burbury. Joining him are Mark Gatiss as Malcolm McClaren, Marc Warren as Steve Strange, and Matthew Horne as Jon Moss. I'm a bit face scowly at the idea of Matthew Horne, but we shall see. Excitingly as Worrapolava noticed, it's being made by Red Productions who are most famous for making Queer As Folk. The Blitz club will be central to the plot and who knows, maybe even Simon's Kitkat club might get a mention. Boy George is a figure who has his own little role in my life who as a friend of my dad once showed up to my fifth birthday party and gave me a red soap in the shape of a heart. This was in 1987, hopefully it'll play a central part in the programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment