Thursday 8 June 2006

Morningwood: Live at Koko

Mwood_1It's not often I go to a gig that completely blows me away, but New York band Morningwood
playing their first UK show at Club NME left me somewhat stumbling over
my words.  First discoving them via essential US music blog Arjan Writes, their self titled album stayed on the stereo for a few weeks with Jetsetter and Nth Degree finding their way onto our playlists.  Not having looked at their myspace page
for a while, I was delighted to see them booked in at Koko for a night
in mid-May and swiftly added them into the diary on a night that was to
become 'the night of 4 clubs'.


'This is a band who aren’t afraid to talk about sex, and during the dance rock ‘NY Girls’
Chantal gets a girl up on stage to dance with her. This is evidently
staged though, as they dance with more familiarity or intimacy than any
strangers should.  In any case, this display of girl on girl groping
certainly wakes up any Camden boys sulking in the corner.'

Read the rest of my rather excited and garbled review of the gig over at Gigwise and good god, make sure you can see them live as soon as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment