Wednesday 18 February 2009

I have touched Neil Tennant's arm.

Tonight the Pet Shop Boys will be given the Outstanding Contribution to British Music award at The Brits, and boy do they deserve it. Although I wasn't exposed to most of their material during the time it was released and don't know every song in their back catalogue, I would label them one of my two favourite bands. They look like such unlikely pop stars but their music and the telling lyrics always are spot on. Plus Chris Lowe is from Blackpool so double woop for him.

I adore It's A Sin and always thought it was my favourite PSB song but recently I've been swayed towards West End Girls. It's so bleak and the video captures London in the 80s so magnificiently. What London locations can you spot? Does it start on Roman Road? I am rubbish at playing spot the London location!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHfoIfo_7A[/youtube]

On the other hand here's a brilliant Pet Shop Boys production but a terrible video from the 80s. It's Dusty's 'In Private'.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1z5DZEse3I[/youtube]

2 comments:

  1. "They're" not "their". God. I've got an English degree, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No arguments on your PSB love. For me, their one of the most underated acts in British pop. The fact that they don't command the sort of muso respect as the likes of The Smiths or Joy Division is pure guitar rock snobbery.

    'Left To My Own Devices' for the win!

    ReplyDelete