Tuesday 27 October 2009

The Decade In Music: 2000

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47g9_THTGCg[/youtube]



With 10 weeks left until the change of the decade, people who enjoy making lists are beginning to crank out their favourite songs of the naughties and talk about their lives as if someone cares. Thank goodness we can finally put that the horrible 'naughties' term away, but what do we call the 2010s? The moody teens?

And so to 2000. In 2000, I turned 18 and started going out to clubs, spent a lot of nights in a then brilliant club called Heaven & Hell, and discovered much more music. I got disillusioned with my gradually crumbling school which eventually shut down as my year left, but not before somehow buggering us all up thanks to sacking various teachers midway through my exams (THANKS, STILL BITTER. MRS HOLDEN 4EVA). My best friends were girls called Joanne and Helen.  Joanne and I stay in touch but as we moved away Helen and I gradually lost touch but I really wish we hadn't. She was ace. I worked at Index which I LOVED and everyone always laughs at me for being so enthusiastic about it, but seriously a billion times better than sucky Argos. I was also a lot more quiet and geeky at school. Someone recently commented they were glad I had 'found myself' which is a bit weird, but I guess true.  This was caused probably by moving down away from the Northwest to the Midlands for uni but didn't really get to grips with it and found the change hard. The only thing that really kept me going was joining the student radio station and trying to infiltrate the social group there. Of course, doing student radio would go on to give me the most fun ever, some of my best friends (even if some, sadly, only for a short time), a love of all types of music and my career.

These are the songs that define that year to me. There's quite an obvious split between songs from the Blackpool clubbing experience, and uni tunes.

Listen to them on spotify or see the list after the jump:



Artful Dodger - Woman Trouble
All Saints - Pure Shores
Billie - Day & Night
Bomfunk MCs - Freestyler
Daft Punk - One More Time
Dandy Warhols - Get Off
Darude - Sandstorm
Delerium - Silence
Donell Jones - U Know What's Up
Fragma - Toca's Miracle
Geri Halliwell- Bag It Up
Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake
LeAnn Rimes - Can't Fight The Moonlight (latino mix)
Lonestar - Amazed *
Lucy Pearl - Don't Mess With My Man
Kylie - On A Night Like This
Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
Melanie C - Never Be The Same Again
Mint Royale - Don't Falter
Moby - Porcelain
Moloko - The Time Is Now
Paul Van Dyk vs JPS - For An Angel
Ricky Martin - She Bangs
Spiller - Groovejet
Santana - Smooth
S Club 7 - Never Had A Dream Come True
Sugababes - Overload
Tom Jones - Sexbomb
Wu Tang Clan - Gravel Pit

N.B. Songs that I also love from 2000, but at the time didn't really know include Laurent Garnier - Man With The Red Face, DJ Luck & MC Neat - A Little Bit of Luck, Aaliyah - Try Again & many  more I'm sure I've forgotten.

One of my 'bloggers of the decade' (oh dear, more on that later), the wise XO London is doing similar.

1 comment:

  1. Man With The Red Face... Ooof!! What a track! I interviewed Laurent a couple of months ago too; lovely guy, though I'm not that keen on his most recent album.

    GREAT list. PVD vs JPS!!!!

    ReplyDelete