Wednesday 19 January 2005

The Chemical Brothers - Push the Button

Housemate J & I were driving through London on a typical 'Let's go for a random drive' Sunday night adventure listen to XFM's The Remix show when we heard a proper WTF WAS THAT tune. It turned out to be the new Chemical Brothers track - Galvanise feat Q Tip.

I'd never really been into the Chems. Sure I could name a few tracks ... hey boy, hey girl, It began in Afrika, Star guitar, but that was about it.

However Galvanise was a track which really stood out from the radio and made me want to hear it again and again. It got on all the radio playlists and its finally out this week (going top 3 i think!)

But anyway enough waffling about Galvanise. You've all heard it, its top. End.

But, it's the lead single from their 5th studio album Push the Button (can anyone say that without going DONT PUSH THE BUTTON afterwards?). After 11 years and 8 million record sales, I was finally ready to take notice. The album is a mixed affair, travelling from the hip hop tinged Galvanise through Electronica and heavy beats.

I had to quickly splurge some words about track number 8 - Close Your eyes which features the much tipped Magic Numbers. I know little about the Magic Numbers other than they are 2 pairs of sibling and their names are being bandied about all over the London cool music scene. I heard the track today on BBC LDN's Joy of Music show and loved it. Then I listened to the album again and loved it even more. It's 6 minutes 13 seconds of gorgeous harmonies, soaring strings and vocals and its just a big bundle of loving.

Get it, and put it on your octagon playlist.

(I'll write a better review when I'm not in quite such a splurging musicasming mood)

No comments:

Post a Comment