Saturday 4 June 2005

Are you my mummy?

I've been a bit remiss in not writing about how much I dearly love the reincarnation on the BBC of Doctor Who.



Never having seen the original series, I thought, much like Matt, it was going to be a crazy sci-fi fest along the lines of Star Trek, Babylon 5 etc [Not that I have seen these either, I've just prejudged them as rubbish :-)].   Housemate J showed me an old episode about 2 weeks before it restarted and I fell asleep about 15 minutes in, so my expectations weren't too high.



But, but, but, but it was going to be written by Russell T Davies - he who wrote my favourite British series, Queer as Folk.  Anything written by him was worth a shot, and a  couple of months ago I enjoyed watching his excellent ITV drama The Second Coming on dvd (also starring Christopher Eccleston).  My next mission is Bob & Rose although it's concept seems a little strange.  Anyone know if it is good?



And back to Doctor Who... The casting of Billie Piper seemed like it was going to be rubbish, but maybe interesting, and I'd liked Christopher Eccleston in the aforementioned Second Coming as well as ienjoying 28 Days Later.  So it was with a curious mind that I set to watching Doctor Who.



And boy o boy, did I love it!



To me, a girl who has grown up in the Whedonverse days of Buffy and Angel - tv series that were big, archy, fantastic and an absolute essential to see.  Shows that made me race home and hit the slowness of my internet connection as I tried to get the latest episodes as they aired in America, this, this BBC production of Doctor Who had really recaptured that magic.  One episode down, I was incredibly excited.   Billie Piper was excellent, Christopher Eccleston was mental and I wanted more right then.



And so it has continued.   Episode 11 airs tonight and then sadly there will only be 2 more episodes until the end of the series.  I've enjoyed every episode with Fathers Day (although full of flaws) and the 'Mummy' 2 parters as favourites, and End of the World and The Long Game as it's lower points. 



It's been said that the gas mask child from the last 2 weeks will be an image that will be remembered as a TV moment for quite a while.  I found the last 2 episodes pretty scary and even ran out of the room once.  Can any of us really hear or think of the word 'Mummy' without shuddering anymore?



I've learnt from my friends who loved old Doctor Who that because the old serieses were filled with multi episode stories, and the actual stories themselves didn't really interconnect, that this is the first time the concept of a series long arc has been even possible within the series.  And boy isn't everyone talking about it!  Bad Wolf might be a huge let down and be nothing more than a word of mouth marketing tool to make people talk about it (the BBC have been particularly clever here, creating spin off non bbc domained doctor who sites).  But I hope not - the theories out there are getting more and more interesting and I've stopped reading them for fear of spoiling myself!



Anyway there we go I've wittered and run out of steam, as normal, before writing a conclusion so erm...

Conclusion: Watch Doctor Who. It is good :-)



Links:
The Official BBC Website
Mickey's Who Is Doctor Who Site [run by the bbc]
Van Statten's Geomectric as seen in Dalek [again bbc bbc]
BAD WOLF BAD WOLF [The BBC launched this, this morning. Now doesn't that first wolf noise sound like the tardis]



[UPDATE: Via Plastic Bag don't wear this near me unless you want to make me cry!  Kinda cool tho huh!  Want one?  Email gasmaskshirt at comicfestival.co.uk.]



3 comments:

  1. Yes, you're quite right - it has been fab. And that's coming from somebody who is aware of "the history" (I may have been too young to see much except the somewhat poor McCoy days, but I enjoyed sitting through countless BBC2 Sunday morning repeats and even played the Doctor Who role-playing game).

    I'm not quite sure I agree about the level of fear, though - I haven't felt scared during this series. As a childrens' drama, of course, it is pitched just right and the reactions I have read about from kids seem just what the writers would have hoped for!

    But, hey, don't be excited about this having a plot arc and diss Babylon 5 in the same article! Tsk! Babylon 5's story is one of the most amazing and complex to be realised on TV ever, regardless of genre. And that's what makes it great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I am aware dimly of people discussing Babylon 5's arc. I was just brain searching for a sci-fi show that looked all sci-fi-y and thus rubbash ! Ha!

    The last two episodes are the only ones I've found scary, and particularly the first one. I thought it was super super scary and can't imagine what a child might have thought.

    But then again, I am a silly wimp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctor Who has had a few series long story arcs... "The Key to Time" from the Tom Baker era, and "Trial of a Timelord" from the Colin Baker years spring to mind as examples. Plus all kinds of complicated interlaced back plots about the Timelords and the Doctor being banished / elected president of Gallifrey atc.

    Although, I don't know if you'd particularly like them...

    ReplyDelete