Monday 15 January 2007

Stop me, you will have heard this one before

I listen to a lot of music. Some of it is pants, some of it is good.
Sometimes it's really good and I blog about it, tell other people about
it, play it at clubnights and generally think 'huh, that's good'.
Othertimes it's so good that as I listen to it I get a feeling that
builds and builds until I think my head is going to EXPLODE with it's
goodness. Tell me it's not only me, because writing that down I sound a
bit berserk.




Anyway this is one of those times. Thanks to a link on Stereogum, I've been listening to the Jan 5th edition of Mark Ronson's Authentic Shit radio show, originally broadcast on a New York station. This particular radio show is AWFUL. I'm sure it's not normally but
this particular edition is presented by Mark's sister Samantha covering
for him. Wikip tells me that Samantha is a big-ass DJ in New York but
this show does nothing to give that impression: links are all over the
place, wrong tracks are played and everything sounds really shonky. The music, of course, is brilliant.



Mark_ronson_1



ANYWAY we all know Mark Ronson is really cool don't we? In November 2003 he made his first impact to the masses with the astounding Oooh Wee which sampled Boney M's Sunny (before the Boogie Pimps) and featured Ghostface Killah and Nate Dogg amongst others. The track was taken from his debut album 'Here Comes The Fuzz' which I've not actually hear. I assume it is great though and must try to listen soon. In 2006, Mark Ronson really reappeared on my radar producing large parts of three of my favourite albums of the year Back to Black, Alright Still and Rudebox and putting in an amazing performance at Bestival. We also got a single release from him in the form of an ace cover of Radiohead's Just. This was a teaser for his 2nd album Version which'll be released on April 16th and features reworkings of famous tracks in that horn-ridden, groovy way of his. I've heard a few tracks from Version and particularly love Lily Allen's version of Kaiser Chiefs' Oh My God but today, in this radio show, I heard a spectactular version of one of my favourite Smiths' songs: Stop Me If You've Heard This Before.









The thing with Mark Ronson produced tracks is that they're generally brilliant but they occasionally fall into the COMEDY HORNS label (as Just does a little). I'm No Good uses the horns to a slightly less comedic effect and Stop Me does the same. Vocals are provided by Australian Daniel Merriweather  and it even blends the Supremes You Keep Me Hangin' On in at the end.



Of course, every other pop blogger under the sun has already written about it, but as ever XO London in the most concise, brilliant manner. And I agree with him entirely, it makes me want to run round my room screaming too - oh the breakbeat bassline, the silky smooth vocals and the unbearably, oh so yearning strings building and building and building. XO alerts me to the fact that you can hear it in full at Mark's Columbia page. So go, go go go this instant and listen to what is perhaps 2007's Crazy. I've been sitting there on repeat for at least the last 4 hours.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely know the explode-with-goodness feeling. I end up splattering the name of the song and the lyrics all over my messenger status and blog postings for days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make that sound even ickier than I already did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think he's totally cute toooo

    ReplyDelete