Friday 28 February 2003

Films I’m not that

Films



I'm not that big a film fan. I do like them but sitting in the cinema for 2/3 hours or staring at a tv for the same amount of time fills me with dread, as I could be doing so much else. But in the last 2 weeks I've seen 3 films which is somewhat impressive for me.

Chicago

From the moment I saw the trailer for this back in September, I was very excited by the prospect and could not wait to see it. Catherine Zeta Jones is just one of the most stylish, beautiful, hottest stars about at the moment and having never really watched her in a film, I wanted to see if she was really any good.

Based on the original stageplay from Bob Fosse, Chicago really did dazzle with its elaborate set & dazzling numbers. Richard Gere was a real surprise here. Not only could he sing but he managed to present someone who was equally sleazy & attractive in a fantastic way. I was in fact quite disturbed by how hot I was finding Gere... how old is he now???

Cell Block Tango was for me the highlight of the film. A stunning set, song, and dancing make it a standout point in the film & it reminded me a lot of the old posters you used to see for Chicago around London. Is the stage show still on in the West End?

Unfortunatly Renee Zellweger is just one of my least favourite actresses. I don't know what it is about her but I just can't take to her at all, and this is what spoiled the film for me. Zeta-Jones had a much more minor role than the film posters presented, but when she was on screen she did dazzle. A lot of reviewers have said that about Zellweger, but not for me.

Riding on the wave of musical resurrection (thanks Moulin Rouge!), Chicago did its job well and gave us a fantastic musical. Personal actress preferences lessened the enjoyment of the film for me, but it is an exciting piece of work. Just don't expect the magic that Luhrmann gave us in Moulin Rouge.

The Ring

*SHUDDER*

Do not go and see this film alone. Do not go and see this film if you want to watch tv/videos for a couple of days. Do not go and see this film if you get scared easily.

Oh my god. This has got to be the scariest film I have ever seen. Admittedly I haven't watched many scary movies but after the dreadful and apparant scary My little Eye which was just laughablly bad, I thought I would give this film a go.

Based on the original Japanese film & novel by Koji Suzuki, this excellent American remake staring Naomi Watts (most famous for Mulholland drive) has terrified everyone who has seen it. I am very concious not to spoil the film, so there is little I can really say. I thought both the female & male lead were excellent and they really got the audience to empathise with them. Another personal dislike here though... I hate small children in films. Well no, let me rephrase... I hate small children. And in this case, the little boy is so trying to be Haley Joel Osmond its just annoying.

Otherwise this film is brilliant. It made me jump a hell of a lot, and hide behind my hands quite a few times. Go and see it and be scared yourself!!

Two weeks Notice

I had to go and see this film. had to. Hugh Grant is one of, if not, my favourite actors, probably because he is just so so attractive that grrh I need to have 2 hours of perving sessions every so often.

Two weeks notice is your typical romantic comedy, but unlike most which have very few jokes, this one does have you laughing out loud quite a few times. I can't believe that Grant is 43, and Bullock 39, as they both look so young! There is a lot of chemistry between these two meaning they work really well together and its a delight to watch. Grant portrays the spoilt rich boy perfectly and although he plays the same character again and again, I just can't get enough.

Romantic films are a toughie. I love watching them but I invariably feel depressed at the end!!! Its a shocker! But seriously go and see this if you just want to see something light hearted.. tis a "nice" film.

No comments:

Post a Comment